Center for Research and Development in Agrifood Systems and Sustainability
CISAS is a multidisciplinary unit of research and development (R&D), based at the Polytechnic Institute of Viana do Castelo, which is focused on agri-food systems in the Mediterranean and sustainability issues. With an interdisciplinary approach combining research, development and innovation (RDI) into an applied science strategy, CISAS is heavily involved in promoting a balanced approach between food science, landscape, agriculture and sustainability studies.
CISAS is organized in two main axes, namely Agri-Food Systems and Resource Management and Sustainability. Specifically, the main goals are to contribute, through a strong community involvement, to:
- Protect and promote the certification of origin of food products through the development of methodologies to guarantee authenticity;
- Develop products and processes in a perspective of health promotion, well-being and safety;
- Contribute to the sustainable development of the industrial tissue through the adoption of innovative practices towards the creation of new products and processes together with the valorization of industrial co-products as potential functional ingredients;
- Valorize endogenous resources and traditional food products aiming at the preservation of autochthonous species and the protection of biodiversity;
- Improve sustainably agricultural productivity with technologies in precision agriculture and organic farming practices;
- Promote innovation in agrarian systems, in a context of climate change adaptation, particularly in water use efficiency, soil and plant protection and agro-biodiversity.